Position Summary: (Why does this position exist in the organization?)
- Complex mechanical designs of automated solutions from single and multiple assembly station applications to full turnkey assembly cells that provide full quality management.
- Project Management including project scheduling to meet delivery expectations, project cost review, and design assessments.
- Assistance to sales team to define the project scope and create conceptual layout based on customer specifications.
- Work directly with the customer to provide them with a machine that meets the requirements of the RFQ.
- Assist other departments in achieving cost and delivery schedules through oral and written communication.
- This position will guide the work of designers and detailers (internal and contract) as required to assure success of design concepts and complete integration of the designs.
Essential Job Functions (fundamental job duties):
- Perform complex mechanical design analysis using Autodesk Inventor and all engineering design functions necessary to resolve basic stress, deflection, and time cycle analysis on specialty equipment and R & D projects.
- Prepare and maintain a project notebook which will include an open issues list, station planning sheet, meeting notes, and customer documentation.
- Provide project oversight and partner with the electrical lead engineer and assembly supervisor on overall project management. Maintain performance to target hours, budget, and project schedule.
- Coordinate the work of internal and contract engineering personnel.
- Prepare and maintain a project schedule to assure that the progress of the project meets the defined timeline.
- Coordinate and work with Processing & Purchasing teams to ensure timely ordering, receipt of purchased components, manufacturing, and driving to control costs.
- Conduct internal and external design reviews as required to meet project requirements and timelines.
- Provide assistance to the assembly floor and participate in machine debug.
- Participate in customer runoff activities.
- Provide assistance to Proposals team as required.
- Provide assistance to Field Service as required.
Education (What is the minimum education level necessary to complete the essential functions of the position?)
- Associates required, BSME or BSMET preferred
Experience (What are the minimum years of experience necessary to complete the essential functions of the position?)
- 3-5 Years in a manufacturing/machine design environment preferred but not required.
Mandatory Qualification Requirements (What are the mandatory qualification requirements for the position?)
- Must have computer competency with advanced knowledge of a 3D design software (Inventor preferred) and proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of OSHA and ANSI standards along with ISO 9001 knowledge.
- Engineering drawing reading and interpretation.
- Must have a working knowledge of cost effective manufacturing processes and methods, geometric tolerancing, machining, basic stress, and performance calculations.
- Must possess strong verbal and written communication, inter-personal, leadership, and organizational skills.
- Must have a positive can-do attitude, be energized by challenges and work well with others.