Program: Focus on Self-Sufficiency (FSSD)
Location: 400 West Ave
Position: Bi-lingual Adult Education Services Instructor
Hours: 37.5 hrs / 52 wk
Salary Range: $21.70
Salary Grade: 10
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Adult Education Services Instructor (AES Instructor) assists in implementing activities in educational program services and instructional activities for the Department. This position provides instruction/guidance to adult program consumers in both classroom and individual settings. The Adult Education Services Instructor works closely with DYCS staff to help consumers create Educational Development Plans that identify desired academic and vocational goals and the steps necessary to achieve self-sufficiency.
Qualifications/Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required in Education, Adult Education/Literacy, Educational Planning, Public Administration or related discipline. Minimum of two (2) years’ successful teaching/ educational instructional experience, preferably with adults; High School Equivalency exam (HSE) teaching experience preferred; requires experience in administering/interpreting TABE assessment & standard basic educational placement test, proficiency exams, related educational assessment & diagnostic indicator tools.
- Must be Bi-lingual English/Spanish.
- Requires excellent public speaking, presentation and facilitation skills; knowledge of group dynamics, consumer engagement, integration activities and team building strategies preferred.
- Must have ability to develop and present educational/vocational preparation workshops; assist in coordinate scheduling and implementing all classroom training, educational sessions and supplemental FSSD informational sessions/special events to consumers/general public.
- Requires strong interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Ability to work with diverse individuals/groups from diverse backgrounds, in a variety of settings with a particular understanding of the issues relating to special needs populations.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships at all levels within the organization.
- Ability to assist in developing and maintaining effective partnerships with community, business, financial, educational organizations and other sectors of the community both public and private.
- Must have good understanding and sensitivity of related issues faced by individuals/families moving from dependence on public assistance to independence/self-sufficiency.
- Requires excellent organizational, planning and analytical skills; requires flexibility and ability to work in fast-paced environment; good administrative, record keeping, attentiveness to details and ability to multi-task.
- Requires excellent communication skills, oral & written; experience in preparing and disseminating marketing, informational & educational materials/announcements and related communications for consumers preferred
- Ability to interpret and present on program activities/ data/reports; and conducts public presentations and training sessions as assigned.
- Requires proficiency in use of all Microsoft Office products; ability to assist in developing and managing assigned program data base systems; maintains consumer information; proficient in computerized software for educational purposes. i.e.; testing and self-assessments; analyzes and interprets consumer progress in meeting program outcomes; ability to complete input and documentation in preparing reports, presentations and announcements on consumer/program status in meeting goals. Experience in CAP 60 preferred.
- Requires the physical health and physical capability to work in an office and a classroom setting.
- Requires a valid NYS Driver’s License, and access to reliable transportation